October 14, 2013

The Best Birthday Gift

The Date was 1st of October 2004
It was going to be another normal Birthday, people wishing me "Happy Birthday" with smiling faces just because they have to.

The first surprise - So I dressed up and boarded the college bus that day, my "bus" friends already planned a small party in the time it takes to reach college. After the customary cake-cutting ceremony and happy birthday wishes, I was given a book from one of the girls in the bus. Wow, I never thought I would get gifts from girls I was not closed to. But she smiled and held out the book. I said thank you and took it.

It was a pocket encyclopedia of sorts, The moment I took the book, she asked me if I could ask questions for a quiz that she was participating in College. I was struck dumb. That was the first surprise. The day was not looking bright anymore.

The Second Surprise - I was not expecting a "Cake" in the class as we had one the previous day for another friend and it was a "combined" celebration for both of us. So the Lunch bell rang and people brought forth another Cake just for me. That was the second surprise. In our class, birthdays are a great way to kick people in the name of Birthday Bumps and I'll never forget Mr.Rajasekhar's kick that day. Had trouble sleeping on my left buttock for 2 days.

The Third Surprise - After college, we went out for the "party" to a restaurant and yet another cake was waiting for me to be cut and eaten. The restaurant wallah realized what was going on and changed the music to Happy Birthday, and people joined while I cut the cake. That was the third surprise.

The time was already 8:00  PM and I was heading home. I went to Krishna's home and gave him back his bike. He seemed un-interested to talk to me. Not like him to be rude. I've known him since school. Feeling little awkward, I started back to home thinking all the while what was wrong with him. I reached home, went inside and was talking to mom and dad about that days events. Mom asked me to go into my room as it was "late". What was going on? Shes the one who usually complains that I spend a lot of time inside my room. And here she was asking me to go into my room when I was talking to her. Strange. I went inside my room and switched on the lights. A blast of sound greeted me. My "School Friends", the "Hawks" were all there.
Krishna , Harsha, Phani, Ashish, Naveen, Ashwin and Dattu.
So, in the time I reached home from Krishna's place on my Dad's old scooter, they've managed to overtake me unseen somehow, park the bikes in the next lane so that I don't see them when going inside the house, and wait in my room for me to show up.

THAT, FOR ME IS THE BEST BIRTHDAY GIFT TILL DATE.

Everything else that happened on the day were small moments of joy. But this was THE "Moment of Happiness"

Thank you Guys.

4 comments:

  1. Krishna was Rude...Ah haha Really....Nice Post...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ra...aa roju naku alane anipinchindi..eedu enti abba ani.

      Delete
  2. Wow..really good one vik..I missed all those grt thgs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. u missed great many things Venu...Those were the "best" days

      Delete